December 26, 2012

I got space for Christmas...

I was thinking of posting something yesterday with some pictures but wouldn't you know it the amount of space that Picasa and Google Drive allows was at the limit; so my best intentions were thwarted until I was able to sit down and buy some more space for my photos. Buying space; what has this world come to? I can tell you there was no picture needed for this post. And for the space? A valid credit card :)

Is anyone else afraid that their photos will be off in the computer junkyard somewhere if they don't make sure that they're backed up and stored somewhere? I've lost enough stuff on a few computers that just up and died to have learned my lesson. As much taking pictures is easier since photography has gone digital and storing/organizing them is really rather more convenient I still like my real photos. I like the look, the smell and the feel of them in my hands. Or maybe it's just the memory they evoke, old times usually are good times.

I think my torn-ness (I just made up that word) between my digital photos and the printed ones sort of similar to the  feelings evoked when reading on a Kindle and reading a real book, totally different experience. When it comes down to it however I still have my huge blue bins full of our life in pictures currently located above the closet in the blue guest room upstairs. I haven't taken the time nor do I have the inclination to transfer them all to digital. Does anyone really do that to all their photos?

Bill, my husband always jokes with me that if this house ever caught fire (heaven forbid) he half expect to see me lit aflame jumping out the second floor window with those bins since they're the only things I think I'd save besides ourselves and the three cats.










Don't miss my next blog post. 
Follow me on Google friend connect or 
if you’d like you can subscribe and receive my posts by e-mail.
Both are located on the right side-bar.   
And while you’re at it don’t forget to come visit me at my other blog.
It’s called “I blog it as I see it” 
Just click here.           

18 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays Jen.....I was in the same boat last year with lack of Picassa space and went through the same 'should I or shouldn't I'...I did.....and bought a back up to put all those 100's of thousands of pics...this is just ridiculous isn't it. I started saving photos and got bored so just watch everything crash...is this a jinx or is 2013 (thirteen) close at hand...ooooh! Seriously, I'm not superstitious...we used to have a black cat so that proves it, doesn't it!? As for e-readers...not my cup of tea/java...need the tactile page turner for my self-gratification moment. Hope all's super OK with you and your loved ones...

    Cheers Ron and Sophie Doodle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We backed up our pictures onto a memory card or whatever they call them, about two years ago; need to do it again. I don't have a lot that I would miss, but some if something happened to the computer. I'm in the process (slow) of weeding through our pictures that aren't digital. I'm shredding some; who needs 100 pictures of the Grand Canyon :) and also other pictures from growing up if there are lots of duplicates. What I am trying to do is mark the pictures with approximate years, people's names, etc. I know we shredded a lot of hubby's parents' pictures after they passed because we had no idea who were in the pictures. So my goal is to make sure all pictures are labeled so people know who is who in case they don't know.

    I hope you had a delightful Christmas Day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im with you on the pics as what I would save. And we did lose our hard drive lithos fall and a huge chunk of pictures. I love the analogy if book versus kindle because that's how it feels. Hope you had a nice holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just reminded me... I need to get an external hard drive for my photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot! I don't even know what you mean - buying space? I just keep putting them on there and every so often I back them up to the hard drive -- thanks for the reminder!
    I have bunches of photos but it never occurred to me to digitalize them - I guess I am just not with it enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen! I feel the same way about my photos, most important thing next to the people and pets in my life. I've always said that someday I am going to go through all the old photos, and pick my very favorites to scan just in case. It might even be fun to do a weekly blog feature - Flashback Friday. See, I've really given this some thought! Glad you had a nice Christmas. I'm off to visit your other blog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pay the storage fees as well - on Picasa and Flickr. Why both? Who knows! I really want to back-up my digital files on DVD's or USB's. I have a big fear of losing all the digital files. We have a printer. I printed a bunch of 4X6's as gifts. When I ran out of ink for the second time. I went to CVS. Holy cow. So much easier and faster, plus the prints were much better (and cheaper). There is no way I could back up all my photos in boxes. But I probably should. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 2013, Jen.

    Thanks for the reminder. I don't think I've ever backed up my photos.

    They are on Facebook, too. Does that count?
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about Facebook since I don't do it. But I'm always worried about my computer and things that might not have a paper copy.
      Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  9. I need to archive more of my digital photos. I'm very behind on that. I save mine in a few places just in case! I'm to the point where I just don't know what to do with printed photos. I'm thinking I need to make a a few more photo books as well. As far as books go, I prefer the paper ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper photo's make me feel safe. Am i showing my age? I just have never been good at doing books. I bet you're good at it though!

      Delete
  10. As someone who spent a good part of yesterday organizing her digital photo files, I can tell you that this post hits close to home. I keep waiting for the perfect solution because right now I feel like I have pictures everywhere and no idea how to find any of them in a hurry. I am realzing if I don't post them on a blog or Facebook, they slip into a vortex--never to be seen again...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I'll have to check if any of my photos have been backed up. Thanks for the tip Jen! Hope that you and your family have a very happy and healthy New Year!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI - You've inspired me to start Flashback Friday. Come on over and play along :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there is so much that is saved on our computers and phones that it would really be scary to see something crash in the 'system' and us not be able to get to them. The fear that was here when there was the Y2K fear would be even more real!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I better start 'moving all my pics to the external hard-drive!! Thanks for 'planting' this in my head Jen! And Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the same boat. We have tons of hardcopy pictures that I'd like to scan in the computer, b/c I don't look at hardcopy pics much anymore. But, the time it would take to get them all in! For the past 5 years, we've had digital cameras, so it's not so much an issue now, but for the past 50 year?!?!? We have albums and albums that would be hard to grab in a fire! I DO have my digitals on a small, portable hard drive, so that would be easy to grab, if needed. I know when I'm gone, my kids will pitch most of them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love real photos too. I think all those digital images we have will be lost one day and it's not the same looking through them,they can't be passed around and laughed at. I have about six large boxes of photos in my bedroom and if I start looking through them I'm there all day,no housework done.For the last two Christmassies I have had lots of photos taken during the year made into photo books for my granddaughter so she can look through them when she's older.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!