October 27, 2012

when you're the accused

My walk from school wasn't more than five or six blocks and if I cut through the empty field it was less.

With my decision made I carefully navigated my way through the lumpy grass and dirt field. It was then that I first saw the hair brush laying in the grass but didn't think much of it and continued my walk home.

It didn't walk much further when I then saw a comb and then a pencil case.

Curious I kept in the direction of the opening in the fence when I spied the key ring and a small leather wallet.  The i.d said it belonged to Laura Smith (not her real name). Next to it was a pink address book half opened  and a few bottles of nail polish and some make-up.

Then it all came together in my mind;  I recalled a rumor I had hear earlier in the day of a purse being stolen in the second floor girls bathroom. I looked around for anything else that might have been discarded in the field gathering them up as I found them and headed back to school.

I knew Laura only to say hello to but could only imagine how upset she was that her things had been stolen. Getting at least some of them back would be some relief I thought to myself as I traced my footsteps back to school.

I entered the principles office feeling a bit of pride in choosing to do the right thing. I know others would have just walked by and not gotten involved but that wasn't me. Mr Ryan (changed name) seemed pleased and called over the intercom to have her report to the office a.s.a.p. to identify and claim her items.

Laura entered the principles office and it was apparent she had been crying. I could see that moment of recognition flicker in her eyes when she saw her things on the principles desk.

She looked at me standing there looked at her stuff and apparently made the leap not that I had returned her stolen items but that I had stolen them and immediately started screaming at me!

My heart sank and I felt sick to my stomach! A deep feeling of regret came over me like in a big wave. Had I really done the right thing?  She was accusing me!

I looked at the Mr Ryan, he was a bit shocked. He quickly sprung into action explaining the facts. It took a few tissues and more than a few minutes but eventually he did get it sorted out.

She then apologized and thanked me.

I was understanding but I will never forget the experience.

It was the most horrible feeling hearing that accusation flung at me.

I was a teenager when this happened but as an adult I remember how very painful it was.

Have you ever been accused of something you didn't do? 


16 comments:

  1. This was definitely a case of accuse first and then find out the facts, but I'm sure as a teenage girl "Laura" felt extremely violated having her purse stolen and was ready to make accusations rather than listen to what really happened. I can imagine the affect it had on you Jen, especially as you thought you were helping her to feel better about this event only to be accused as the one that caused her pain and sadness and I can see why it still affects you to this day.

    Only joking about this, but yes I get accused a lot of times of moving things around by my husband when he can't find something.....only for him to remember he was the one that moved them around :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a specific incident of where I was accused but innocent, but I can relate to having a negative experience from my youth that had a profound impact--one that I still need to write about to get over it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why the accusation hurt. Sometimes it's harder to do the right thing and easier to not get involved at all, especially considering how painful it ended up being for you... BUT YOU STILL DID THE RIGHT THING! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I totally get this. When I was hospitalized last week, a patient accused me of pushing her when she slipped on water coming out of the shower. I was only holding the door for her. Then she punched me in the face. Yup. Good times on the psych ward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh kim you poor thing, please take care of yourself.

      Delete
  5. Awwww her initial reaction was so disappointing. I hope in the same situation I would have not been so quick to judge. Excellent writing here. You had me on the edge of my seat. I thought you were walking up on a worse scene than scattered items from a stolen purse. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, I'm sorry this happened to you. I live in Chicago and people can be vicious here. Often times you have to protect yourself over anything else. I would hope that despite that, I would always do the right thing. Like if a person knocked on my door screaming that they needed help, would I answer the door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People all over are capable of being pretty cruel; kids too! You're right thought many of us still choose to do the right thing regardless of our less than positive experience.

      Delete
  7. --I could feel my stomach tightening as I read this. I haven't had a similar incident, but I can imagine it would be horrible to be accused of something you did not do... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a friend once said I told one of her secrets but I absolutely did not. If there's anything I am, it's a secret keeper. I remember how hurt I was by that, and I felt for your younger self in this story too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. It's too bad that people automatically jump to conclusions. Even if you had stolen the purse, the act of returning it should have counted for something. Of course, you didn't steal it. You did what you would want someone else to do for you. I hope she learned a lesson that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did Jennifer. She was running on emotion and wasn't thinking clearly.

      Delete
  10. I got punched in the eye once. The girl thought I had stolen her boyfriend. Geez. I lost a contact that day.
    Truth is, we were just friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, oh boy do I know what it's like to be accused of something I did not do! This is one of my biggest pet peeves besides someone lying on me. Although I forgive easily because I don't like to hold grudges (its not healthy), I never forget. I keep the info on file in my mind to use as reference for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Sonya it's a crappy feeling, you're a lucky gal it hasn't happened to you!

      Delete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!