November 9, 2011

I used to dream


I'm linking up with Shell at Things I can't say for her PYHO meme.


When the kids were young I used to dream of the day when the house would be quiet and I could be alone with my husband.

Then the kids grew and we became empty nesters.

We enjoy the time we have alone together.

The dinners, the shopping, the vacations, the last minute weekends away and the privacy.

The stimulating conversation that doesn't center around the kids, we sacrificed a lot to get to this place.

But the grass is always greener.

Isn't it?

I started to wonder.

What it would be like to spend some time by myself, maybe just a few days.

I know I would never do something so daring as vacation alone but.....

What would I do?

If I were truly alone for a day or two.

Would I stay in bed all day, read a great book, take a long bath, lunch with my gal pals?

My husband decided to take a last minute trip with our son yesterday.

And what have I done?

My house is spotless!

And how have I done?

I'm taking my Mom to dinner tonight.

I'm lonely.

And I used to dream!


9 comments:

  1. I yearn for time alone in my house...and then when I get it, the house feels utterly soulless....and I end up missing my family intensely. We can't win! ;) Stopping by from PYHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, time alone sounds like a total fantasy! I think I'd be very quiet. Reading on a beach somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the grass always greener on the other side of the septic tank ? ( Not mine...I think Erma Bombeck ) However I must say I do lovelovelove having seasons and wildlife all over the place. In Hawaii we had hot, wet and hot, wet, hot windy and hurricane...so much for seasons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the lonely makes us appreciate the company even more, right?

    Enjoy it. You'll be back with the hubby in no time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments ladies. Funny but I really did think being alone would be more enjoyable.

    Oh well, the house is clean and i got a nice dinner out with Mom, and she paid :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be lonely too.
    I've written often about when my Mom takes the kids to the beach and Fred is busy doing something or other that I don't know what to do with myself.
    I "get" you!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,
    I guess maybe I am just at my best when I'm with someone else, and I admit it; I like taking care of people.

    With hub's here with me there's the usual mess the cooking and the company, just the way I like it!

    It used to be seven of us when the kids were home, it was a miracle I was able to pee alone, maybe that's why I thought being alone would be so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that just the way it goes? You finally get some time to yourself and all of a sudden you miss them!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!