March 28, 2011

-from my kitchen- well isn't that special

Is there something special that you just love about your kitchen? A favorite appliance, your wallpaper or curtains? I don't know about you but I spend a good amount of my day in my kitchen. It's my domain, I know every little inch of it. The fridge, stove and sink all remain in their original places I just added some touches- a cutting board counter-top, accessories and lighting added-all in the right places. 

When we bought our house 25 years ago it came with a little bonus, well maybe it's not so little..... it's a wood stove from Ireland. I have upon occasion cooked on it- even baked in it and I have most certainly heated my house with it.This thing turns out awesome home made pizza by the way. 

One Christmas for six long days without electricity due to and ice storm we used the stove to heat our home.  We hosted our neighbors who had small children, no heat and no other place to go. Add to the mix our large family and what we had was one of the most memorable Christmas's in my memory. We actually baked a large turkey dinner with all the trimmings using that stove.

For many days candles and lamps gleaming as if we were from another time, bedrooms overflowing with blow-up beds- sleeping bags everyone staying warm and cozy. Amongst the board games and card games, memories were made as the adults watched the kids play with their Christmas gifts- no electronics, no TV. Even with all the inconveniences-and there were many- it may have been on of my favorite Christmas's ever.

As a former New Yorker I have come to understand the "country life"and the ways of the south. I used to view the stove as a bit of a beast in the middle of my house. I've come to respect and appreciate it- it's grown on me, it's just a little something that makes my kitchen special.

2 comments:

  1. I want one!

    I actually have a wood stove, but it is not one you can cook in. We have been talking about building a Wood Fired Brick Oven in our back yard beside our patio, but my wife says I must wait until we get to Uruguay.
    What do I like best about my kitchen (and I love to cook, see my smoked lamb post) is my cast iron cookware, but I like my mortar and pestle as well.

    Jim Dorchak
    http://qm2ss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brick oven in the back yard sounds like a plan Jim, if you and the misses are big entertainers that sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!